Saturday, November 3, 2007

Eddy is my Amika

I can’t think of anything to blog about right now so I’m just going to talk about the only other mildly interesting thing that has happened to me this weekend other than attending my high school’s football game last night which I will talk about in my next post. Anyway, I was at the Oak Court mall getting lunch with Sam after class and we had been talking about how much we enjoyed talking to people who aren’t from the U.S. We were finishing up our lunch of Chinese food which is what sparked this conversation.

Before we had purchased our food, we were walking over to Subway when a Chinese lady stopped us and offered us a sample of chicken from the Malibu Wing (yes, that’s really the name of the place) right behind her. We took it just to be polite and then Sam said a couple of things to her in Chinese which she seemed to understand. This was a huge relief because a lot of times Sam will say something in Chinese to an Asian person and they get really offended because they aren’t Chinese. We were so happy that Sam was able to converse with this woman without offending her that we decided to go ahead and get Chinese food from the restaurant. I was pretty hesitant to do this because I’m always freaked out that our food will have a bunch a MSG in it or something even worse, but the food was good and I feel fine so I guess I was worried for no reason.

Ok, back to what I was originally talking about. We were so excited about talking to the nice Chinese lady and Sam was really happy because Coach Calipari was sitting at the table right next to us with a bunch of tall athletic-looking men, that we decided to walk around the mall for a little bit before going home to finish some homework and paint a banner for the ECS vs. BCHS game. We got some chocolate at the Godiva store which further elated me and as we were leaving this guy from a hair straightener kiosk approached me. He asked me what kind of hair straightener I used and I was about to just kind of ignore him and walk past when I decided to be nice and talk to him for a little bit. Usually I don’t talk to these kiosk guys because most of them are freaky looking and I can barely understand them because they are always from some where like Israel or Egypt or something. Also, the only time I ever decided to listen to one of them pitch their product I got sucked in to the whole thing and was convinced to buy this overpriced nail care set which isn’t very remarkable.

Anyway, this guy seemed really nice and I let him tell me about the superiority of his straightener. At this time I really wasn’t hooked or anything but I decided to let him straighten my hair with it because I was getting kind of frizzy and I needed a new straightener. Sam started talking to the guy about where he was from and why he started this business while he was straightening my hair and he turned out to be really interesting. The guy is from Israel and he just came to Memphis two weeks ago. He said he was hoping to go to U of M and study finance when he got enough money. He kept on asking us if his English was okay and we assured him truthfully that it was great. I was so surprised when I looked back in the mirror and my hair looked great. Not only did the thing straighten my hair but it actually improved my split ends and made my hair really shiny. The guy showed me a couple of other things that the straightener could do before he made his final pitch. He did this weird thing where he wound my hair around the straightener then slid it to the ends of my hair and it made this perfect bouncy curl. I know I’ve been going on way too much about this straightener but other than homework my weekend has been surprisingly uneventful.

Finally, after showing me all the amazing stuff that the Amika straightener could do he told us the price. It cost $250. Sam was floored but I had been expecting this so I acted normal. I told the guy that there was no way I could afford this right now and instead of acting rude and blowing us off he actually said he understood and gave me his card. The name on the card was Eddy which I don’t quite believe and he gave me a coupon for 50% off the product. Sam talked to Eddy for a bit more about Israel and about places he should go in Memphis before we left.

I just read this post through and it is really dull so I am sorry to whoever is reading this. I am exhausted and have tons of other work to do so somehow this story didn’t come out as interesting as it seemed after it happened. Anyway, I am currently saving up to buy this hair straightener and I encourage any girls reading this (or even guys) to talk to the Amika kiosk guy because the straightener really is incredible.

8 comments:

emilyanne said...

first of all, how does Sam know Chinese? that's kind of kool. I was eating at a chinese buffet the other day and my favorite thing is when you get the fortune cookie because on the back of the fortune now they have "learn chinese"....so the only thing i know how to say in chinese is neu pun yao...or something like that, which means girlfriend. Secondly, i bought the same expensive nail care thing! after that i completely ignore all the kiosk people. except for the cell phone cover ones. i like to look at them but as soon as i see the attendant start walking over to me, i bolt as fast as i can so i dont get sucked into anything again. lol....well i know how you feel about the whole mall thing. was the chocolate you got at least chocolate covered strawberries?

cline said...

I always feel bad because I ignore the hair straightener kiosk guys. But seriously, my hair is straighter without a straightener. Whenever I talk to them I always get sucked into buying something I don't really need too.

Poon said...

Sam and I are in the same Chinese class! hehe I try and avoid those kiosk guys too, because I usually don't need whatever they're selling .

That's really cool that he's just two week out of Israel, maybe I'll go talk to him. The people at Malibu Wings are in fact Mandarin though :D! They don't speak Cantonese I think, because my dad (who speaks Cantonese) tried to talk to them one time and they really didn't understand him too well.

Poon said...

"fortune cookie because on the back of the fortune now they have "learn chinese"....so the only thing i know how to say in chinese is neu pun yao...or something like that, which means girlfriend."

奴 朋 有 ! ! ! ! ! Those are the characters in Traditional Chinese.

Unknown said...

OMG, you have no idea who I am, and neither do I lol. Anyhoo, I joined just to comment on this blog. I came across this because I was looking up a place to buy the Amika hair straightner and when I read this blog and saw 'Oak Court Mall' I just had to read it. I had the exact same experience a week ago, with the same product. The kiosk guy was very nice, and very hot! Lol.

Unknown said...

I think your blog was actually interesting, I live in NYC and was at the mall, the same thing happened to me the guy came up to me and said, "I want to show you something" with an accent, I didn't ask where he is from. He held my hand and said to have a seat and asked the same question what kind of straightener I use and the usual stuff. My natural hair is extremely curly and I have a bob so I have to straighten it all the time, I use a T3 straightener by the way, so it is very good. However, my hair ends are a bit damaged from so much styling and highlights, I thought when he did my hair it felt stiff and dry but I did like how it made perfect curls. The price was $250 and he was giving it to me for $140 but I told him I have no money so he asked for a deposit and told me I can pick it up at any time and I can get my hair done for free whenever I want, now I think that's a deal...I didn't buy it tho... It seem to work great, so I think I will get whenever I have some extra money.

Unknown said...

I think your blog was actually interesting, I live in NYC and was at the mall, the same thing happened to me the guy came up to me and said, "I want to show you something" with an accent, I didn't ask where he is from. He held my hand and said to have a seat and asked the same question what kind of straightener I use and the usual stuff. My natural hair is extremely curly and I have a bob so I have to straighten it all the time, I use a T3 straightener by the way, so it is very good. However, my hair ends are a bit damaged from so much styling and highlights, I thought when he did my hair it felt stiff and dry but I did like how it made perfect curls. The price was $250 and he was giving it to me for $140 but I told him I have no money so he asked for a deposit and told me I can pick it up at any time and I can get my hair done for free whenever I want, now I think that's a deal...I didn't buy it tho... It seem to work great, so I think I will get whenever I have some extra money.

Lindsay said...

You don't know me, but I came upon your blog as I was researching the Amika hair straightener. The SAME thing happened to me at the mall today and I was SO excited about the product, but didn't have the $. But, I just found one on Amazon.com for $50! I'm TOTALLY gonna get it!!